22 April, 2008

Happy Earth Day!

Earth Day has always held a special place in my life, as my father, now a retired Biologist was involved in the very first Earthday events, thirty eight years ago. As the story goes my father was sent back to Washington D.C. earlier in the year to be educated on the message of Earth Day and its hopeful future. For the actual events of the day my father gave various lectures at High Schools around the Portland, metro area. But on this particular day my father had more than just a clean earth on his mind.

During each break and after each lecture my father would call my mother, because she was about to give birth to, well me. As my mother recalls she said that day was a bit crazy as my dad was zooming around Portland giving talks on the Earth and she was at home wondering just when that decisive moment would be. Luckily I was born four days later on the 26th. (when things were not so busy for the two of them. hehe)

Looking back now it is amazing how Earth Day has become a great worldwide event that brings awareness and real environmental issues into a mainstream consciousness. Even looking back just twenty years ago environmental issues were not something that people tended to talk about in great detail. I think Earth Day, both its hype and its events has become a catalyst for the environmental movement....So Happy Earth Day everyone!

FACT: My mother sometimes makes a cake that looks like an earth on Earth Day.

1 comment:

Northwest Labor Industries said...

Thank you for sharing such a informative information with us.