27 December, 2008

WTSS Top 44 Songs Of 2008

I went through my music library and came up with my top tunes of 2008. It's random that the list is 44 songs, it just happened to end up like that. I encourage you to check out these bands and songs if you are unfamiliar with them. It was tough to make my choices and I left many songs off the list that I enjoy. I have also made little notes with each song.

Walking The Side Streets Top 44 Of 2008
(song / band / album)

1. Furr - Blitzen Trapper (Furr)
I love this song. It's about a guy who turns into a dog. Portland band.

2. Gamma Ray - Beck w/ Jay Reatard (Gamma Ray 7'' Jay Reatard Version)
I dig remixes. This one rocks.

3. Skinny Love - Bon Iver (For Emma, Forever Ago)
A massive song, enough said.

4. The Mightiest of Guns - A. A. Bondy (Daytrotter Session)
Send the troops home, please.

5. Tobacco Road - Common Market (Tobacco Road)
Hip-Hop, cool groove with some nice piano and rhyme.

6. Angels - Black Mountain (In The Future)
Good rock song.

7. Rockist Part 1 - School of Language (Sea From Shore)
Several versions of this tune but this one is my choice.

8. Sight Of All Light - The Safes (Sight Of All Light)
Such a great positive punk rock song!

9. Poor Old Ra - The Pica Beats (Beating Back the Claws of the Cold)
Cool sound with some interesting poetic lyric.

10. Car Alarm - The Sea And Cake (Car Alarm)
Good song to crank on the car stereo.

11. Black Fur - Fredrik (Na Na Ni)
Powerful because of the things going on in this song with the vocals and instruments.

12. Oh, Mojave - The Ruby Suns (Sea Lion)
I'm a Mac user but this is a nice track anyway even if it was used in a Windows Ad.

13. Beat, Health, Life And Fire - Thao (We Brave Bee Stings And All)
Nice tune for sure.

14. Drama - RZA as Bobby Digital Feat. Thea & Monk (Spoolwork)
Think this is a remix? Bobby Digital rocks.

15. Connection - Hawnay Troof (Islands Of Ayle)
Crazy beats and vocals. Ya, Ya, Ya, Ya.

16. Blame It On The Mountains - Hymns (Travel In Herds)
Sounds like Tom Petty.

17. Oxford Comma - Vampire Weekend (Vampire Weekend)
A band with lots of hype. I like this tune but it kept getting lower and lower on my top 44 list as I went along.

18. Be OK - Ingrid Michaelson (Be OK)
An easy song to sing to.

19. By Your Side - Alex & Sam (Sounds Like This: Part One)
Mellow.

20. Waste - Norma (Book of Norma)
Dig it.

21. The Believers - Clifford Lidell Remix - Fol Chen (Fol Chen Remixes)
Another remix that I dug this year.

22. Blackfly Rag - Carl Spidla (Live at the Mission)
A guy and a guitar playing live, classic. Fans of Vic Chesnutt would like this one.

23. Sparks Fade Out - We Swim You Jump (We Swim You Jump EP)
Sort of sounds like Elliot Smith, so I like it.

24. New Dawn - Withered Hand (Religious Songs)
From Scotland, catchy tune.

25. The River -Iowa Super Soccer (Lullabies To Keep Your Eyes Closed)
Dig the male - female vocals. Good song, dumb band name.

26. Music - Reed Thomas Lawrence (Near/Far 2008: Near)
From Bend, OR. Think Sublime. Great tune.

27. Reckonerz - Charli2na (Rainydayz Remixes)
From the Rainydayz album, one of the many remixes that was done to Radioheads music this year.

28. Hangman - Fire On Fire (5 Song EP)
A little country-folk band from the East Coast Portland.

29. With Handclaps - Y'all is Fantasy Island (With Handclaps Single)
I dig hand claps, this ones got 'em.

30. Trap Door - Jake One (White Van Music)
Seattle rapper that has some nice rhyme skill.

31. Houston We Have A Problem - Queers (Munki Brain)
Oh yes we do have a problem.

32. Home - Whatfor (Sooner Late Than Never)
Is that a banjo I hear?

33. Home In The Woods - Cory Chisel & The Wandering Sons (Cabin Ghosts)
In the same vain as Bon Iver.

34. Reservoir Park - Dutchess And The Duke (She's the Dutchess, He's the Duke)
Hand Claps and dual vocals.

35. Goodbye - P.O.S (Never Better)
Hip Hop to get the party rolling. "We all toast the same PBR"

36. Ahh What A Cruel Change - Bowery Boy Blue (Stalk That Myth)
Sort of Neil Young-ish.

37. Cassandra - Paper Rival (Dialog)
A song I find myself singing in the shower.

38. Record Store - The Dirty Hearts (Pigs)
Turn this punk rock & roll song up loud!

39. Don't Haunt This Place - The Rural Alberta Advantage (Hometowns)
A very sad song that is oh so very good. Great drum work.

40. Death Cab - Miss Kenichi (Fox)
Creepy cool.

41. All My Trials - Bottle Up And Go -
This song has a nice Americana sound.

42. Veins To The Sky - Alexander Tucker (Portal)
Has a little psychedelic thing going on.

43. I Leave Stones Unturned - Unbunny (Snow Tires)
A nice chill song with a cool guitar sound.

44. The Rebel - Zion I (The Search and The Seizure Mix)
This one is all about Obama. Great Hip-Hop song for the history that was made in November.

So what do you think? Any songs that I overlooked? What would your list look like?

No comments: